Monday, September 21, 2009

Reading Reasons by Kelly Gallagher and The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart



On an 8 hour round-trip car ride to Indianapolis this weekend, I managed to engulf two books. The first, I feel embarrassed to admit, I hadn't read yet- The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart. Of course, it takes a full reading to realize what all the buzz has been about since its publication. Suffice it to say that I LOVED the character of Frankie and her blossoming of self-confidence and self-reliance. I love the power Lockhart gave to Frankie, which ultimately led to her coming of age. It's good to read about an intelligent young woman! I will be recommending the novel to lots of young women I think just need a boost and reminder of their power as women. No wonder this novel has been showered with awards!


I also plowed through Kelly Gallagher's Reading Reasons and started using the mini lessons from chapter 3 today in class! Although the Read 180 kids didn't quite get the correlation between reading and their job some day, I will continue my quest! However, the Word Attack mini lesson gave my regular 8th graders a good look at how roots work in vocabulary. I am anxious to share this with colleagues even though I've already introduced most of them to Readicide, Gallagher's latest.

No comments: