Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What's Happening to our Curriculum?

Hop over to The Reading Zone thereadingzone.wordpress.com/ to check out the latest on the state of our Readers and NCLB.

Personally, I was at a 1/2 workshop yesterday where we were supposed to be coming up with A Writing Curriculum. Astounding! They wanted to prescribe what assignments should be taught at what time of year(some down to the exact month)! I haven't been part of this group for a couple of years and I can't believe the turn it's taken. Why do we think that closing achievement gaps and higher scores on HIGH STAKES TESTS can only be accomplished with more skill and drill? What has NCLB done to us? How can I help more? My own progressive school district (I thought) seems to have ventured to "the dark side."

No comments: