Monday, June 29, 2009

Audiobooks- Summer Pleasures



I always have an audio book in the car. I am pretty convinced that it has nurtured and developed visualization in all of my children. And, because their older sister was so enamored with them, the twins have succumbed to listening quite easily. We always have a "kid" audio book and an "adult" one in the car that they don't get to hear. Recently, we listened to the kids version of Marley and Me called: Marley, A Dog Like No Other by John Grogan. The ending is no different (everyone asked me if it was in the kid version) but I won't spoil it. There is a line from "No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman that kills me every time I read it. "Go to the library and pick out a book with an award sticker and a dog on the cover. Trust me, that dog is going down." (Korman, p.5) Isn't that true?

Regardless, the kids loved hearing about Marley's antics and, unfortunately for me, just renewed their resolve to talk their father and me into getting a family pup. Even though I claim I'm for that, I keep thinking it will be the quintessential..."What was I thinking?..."

My adult audio book in June was Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. While I really wanted to read this book (and bought it as soon as it came out), I never got around to it. What an interesting look at our food supply and how we treat our immigrants in this country! Yikes. This would make anyone immediately convert to vegetarianism. Likened to my reading of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, this book changed the way I think about food (and food workers) in our country. How can people rant about the human rights abuses in China when we take our most vulnerable immigrants and give them the most dangerous jobs in our country? By the way, the Kingsolver book is a GREAT summer read along with Prodigal Summer also by Kingsolver. Great memories from both books.

No comments: