Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sent by Margaret Petersen Haddix



A huge thank you to Laura Antonacci for getting this ARC to me so fast! I was a big fan of Found (the first book in The Missing series) and I couldn't wait to read the next installment in the series. Sent picks up with the characters Jonah, Chip, Alex and Katherine as they are transported to the 15th century where Chips and Alex are the King and Prince respectively. Jonah and Katherine don't actually have a place in 15th century England, so that presents some problems. The science fiction is woven masterfully into the historical fiction so that there isn't much of a ripple between the two.

I guess the biggest surprise to me was that this novel turned out to be more historical fiction than science fiction. Historical fiction is one of my true loves, but I admit that I had to go back and refresh myself on Richard III. My memory doesn't truly kick in until Henry VIII. I loved the historical viewpoint and the fact that these 21st century kids were worried about the anachronism of their presence. It took me a while to get back into the characters, as I had read Found a while ago. I did really like the novel and am now anxious to read the rest!

No comments: