Sunday, November 22, 2009

NCTE-Day #3

Today was a great curriculum day as I started out at a session with my own wonderful NCTE Buddy-Roommate, Dr. Jennifer Buehler. She'd die if she knew I wrote her name like that. The most humblest of fantastically smart people I know! The presentation on Cultural Relevant Pedagogy was just what our district needed to hear and we were represented by all 4 people from our district who were here in Philly for the conference! The discussion ended with wonderful conversation which didn't cease until after lunch when we parted to see Katie Ray Wood. I am still longing for a Philly Cheese Steak! However, I did have the best pastrami reuben I've ever had at Herschel's deli over at the Reading Street Market. Then, I have to admit, I took a nap. The ALAN cocktail party started at 5:30 and I met Maggie Stiefvater (of Shiver fame) and she told me there is another book called Linger!



These authors are so fun and bubbly that I have lost my "awe" of most of them. They're just regular people-but huge celebs to geeky English teachers like we are! Also met: Sharon Flake, Francisco Stork, Lauren Myracle, Maureen Johnson and I was looking all over for Elizabeth Scott but couldn't find her! Maybe tomorrow.

S. and I ate at a wonderful and recommended Vietnamese restaurant and then I felt so full I worked out for almost an hour. Tomorrow starts ALAN and I can't wait to see which books are in my box!

No comments: