Saturday, February 28, 2009

Happenings and Links

This morning I came across a link to Maira Kahlman's blog where she's done this incredibly impressive piece about Abraham Lincoln. Her illustrations are mesmerizing- but, then, I've been a fan of hers for years. And, I think it's fitting that she did the illustrations for the new Elements of Style book, which has been my friend since I was in high school. I had to get that one- have yet to introduce the students to it, though.

And,...though I have been sick on my week-long vacation, President Obama's (I still Love writing that!) speech to the nation included text very near and dear to my heart. He, too, is on the band wagon for parents to step up and take the third leg of our tripod stool in education (in my school we talk about the three-legged stool analogy: one is the child, one leg is the school, and the other leg is the parent. Unless all of the legs are "working" the stool will not stand up). Here is the text that I am proud our President took to the podium and here is the speech text in its entirety.

"These education policies will open the doors of opportunity for our children. But it is up to us to ensure they walk through them. In the end, there is no program or policy that can substitute for a mother or father who will attend those parent-teacher conferences, or help with homework after dinner, or turn off the TV, put away the video games, and read to their child. I speak to you not just as a President, but as a father when I say that responsibility for our children's education must begin at home."


Have a wonderful weekend and spend some time reading to a child. And, don't forget to look for the wonderful week of Reading Aloud to Children coming in March!
Share a Story - Shape a Future

No comments: