Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Haunting of Derek Stone/City of the Dead



Vacation at last! I'm home with the kiddies Mon and Tues, but after that I can READ READ READ all I want! I cannot wait!
Last night I finished The Haunting of Derek Stone: City of the Dead. This is the first in a creepy series of what looks like 4 books (Scholastic). Derek, his dad and his brother Ronny are on a train coming back from a convention, when the entire train derails and falls into Bordelon Gap, where at least 10 people are killed in the fall into the canyon. Derek seems to be the only survivor and is mourning with his uncle when his brother Ronny comes home in a taxi! Only, Ronny isn't really Ronny; he's someone else entirely. As you read you realize that the "dead" are returning and they are after Derek. This short volume will creep out the stoutest of readers and I can't wait to unleash it on my 7th grade boys because I think it will be a huge hit in my classroom. I was also given the ARC of Book 2- Bayou Dogs, which I will begin promptly. The "creepiness" of this book really intrigues me to read more.

1 comment:

BookChook said...

Three letters - Y.U.K. I am such a chicken (ha!), I cannot read scary things or watch them in movies. But glad to read you are getting a break soon.