Sunday, February 8, 2009

Reading Time and Dreaming





So, I snuggled into my warm bed on Friday night and DEVOURED The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I had just finished the audio book of Gregor and the Code of Claw and my students were begging me to finish Hunger Games. I was on pg. 77 when I started and at 1:00 a.m. I closed the cover after the last page. The excitement and nervousness I felt just from experiencing Katniss' adventures through the page were unprecedented. And, my students are studying science fiction right now as well! Collins weaves such an original story that I'm not sure how she dreams these things up. However, I couldn't help but be reminded of Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery". I would love to see kids read both and compare them.

Katniss Everdeen is one of the shrewdest and spunkiest characters I've ever met. The dystopia that is Panem also reminds me of William Nicholson's Wind on Fire trilogy and the way the different sectors of society are segregated and attained. I don't even know where to start with a review except to say that this book is powerful and haunting and kind of mimics a more violent version of today's cliques in middle school! SPOILER ALERT





When Rue died I thought a part of me went with her as well. She was my favorite little darting character and I rooted for her as much as I did Katniss. The writing was powerful enough for me to give an audible intake of breath.




ON A LIGHTER NOTE:

Susan at The Book Chook has posted an absolutely wonderful entry on what her "dream" is. You really need to check it out along with her cute new logo and the awesome pictures that go with her entries.

Also, Kidlitosphere Central is up and being run by my favorite bloggers around! The page that has a link to all children's book bloggers is just what I've been looking for. Now, I have to see how I can get on that list..... Happy Reading

1 comment:

BookChook said...

I think you would enjoy being on the yahoo kidlitosphere list. Email me and I will send you where to go for it and also Kidlit Central.

Love the name change, ML! But then, gotta admit I love knowing someone who uses eclectic correctly!